In 1965, the Republican Children's Library moved into the mansion of the Vadyayev brothers, built in the 1880s, which they sold to the city in 1909. At the same time, a building designed by architect Ivan Markevich, the future city architect of Tashkent, was added to the mansion. The building initially stood out among the others due to its architecture. In the process of reconstruction and partial restoration it was possible not only to preserve the historical and cultural heritage, but also to integrate the 19th century monument into the modern urban context. The place becomes alive and self-developing, demonstrating by its example a modern level of work with architectural heritage and rethinking public spaces.